The Hanlan family was among the first year-round inhabitants on Toronto Islands, settling at Gibraltar Point in 1862. After the islands were transferred from the federal government to the City of Toronto in 1867, Plan D-141 divided the land into lots and allowed cottages, amusement areas and resort hotels to be built. The west side of the island, commonly known as West Point, rapidly became a resort destination for the citizens of Toronto. The first summer cottage community was founded here. In 1878, a hotel was built by John Hanlan at the north-west tip of the island and soon after the area became known as Hanlan's Point.
There are 2.48 km from Hanlan's Point Ferry Dock to the Island Filtration Plant.
BLUE FLAG BEACH - Hanlan's Point Beach typically achieves annual blue flag certification. This international eco-label is awarded to beaches that meet high water quality, environmental and safety standards.
SCENIC VIEW - Hanlan's Point is a great place to watch a sunset.
WILDLIFE - The Toronto Islands are listed as a top spot to see in the City's Birds of Toronto Biodiversity Series booklet, and are known as a good spot for fishing.