The Archives has documents created by the former City of Toronto government and former municipalities (1792-1997). These documents show the decisions, policies, and activities of these governments. The Archives also has documents created by the city’s agencies, boards, and commissions.
Here are some highlights of the Archives’ government holdings.
- Council and Committee minutes for municipal governments (1834-1997)
- Assessment rolls (property tax records) (1834-1997)
- Police records, such as duty books, registers of criminals, and Chief Constable’s correspondence (1847-1982)
- Public health records (1879-1997)
- Toronto Transit Commission records , including maps, textual records, and over 200, 000 photographs (1921-2014)
- Building permit stubs for the former City of Toronto (1882-1926)
- Planning board photographs, subject files, maps, minutes, and other records documenting the growth of the postwar suburbs in Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke (1920-1983)
The following is a list of government records held by the City of Toronto Archives. The links in the list take you into the Archives online database, where you can read more details about each collection.
- City of Toronto (post-amalgamation, 1998 – )
- City of Toronto (pre-amalgamation, 1834 – 1997)
- Township and Borough of East York
- Township, Borough and City of Etobicoke
- Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto
- Township, Borough and City of North York
- Township, Borough and City of Scarborough
- Township, Borough and City of York