Meetings & Polls
The City of Toronto organizes and hosts public meetings, and conduct polls, to determine if there is sufficient interest in establishing a new BIA or expanding the boundaries of an existing BIA.
On July 4, 2017 City Council adopted the intention to pass a bylaw to expand Weston Village BIA to include all rateable property in a business property class north along Weston Road from King Street to Church Street.
The City of Toronto conducted a formal poll of business property owners and non-residential tenants to determine if there is sufficient interest in expanding the BIA. The poll is now closed.
The City received the required number of ballots to validate the poll and the majority of accepted ballots were in favour of expanding the Weston Village BIA.
A staff report will go forward in early 2018 recommending that City Council pass a bylaw to expand the Weston Village BIA. Any expansion of the BIA is subject to Council’s approval.
- At the 2015 Weston Village BIA Annual General Meeting a motion was passed to proceed with the process of a major expansion of the Business Improvement Area.
- The BIA sent communication outlining the goals and objectives of the BIA to commercial property owners and commercial tenants in the proposed expansion area.
- On September 22, 2016, an Open House meeting organized by the BIA and the Councillor’s office was held. Commercial property owners and commercial tenants within the proposed expansion area were invited and in attendance. A Steering Committee of five commercial property owners and commercial tenants was formed at the meeting.
- Members of the Steering Committee canvassed the area to meet with potential BIA members, and confirmed the boundaries of proposed expansion.
- The Steering Committee held meetings on November 24, 2016 and January 12, 2017 where they compiled interviews and signatures of commercial property owners and business tenants to confirm their support of expanding the BIA.
- The City of Toronto received a request from the Weston Village BIA Expansion Steering Committee to conduct a public consultation to discuss the proposed expansion.
- The public consultation was held on Thursday, April 20, 2017 at the Mount Dennis Weston Health Centre, where eligible participants voted unanimously in favour of proceeding to the formal polling stage.
Weston Village Expansion Steering Committee Members
- Peter Kalamaris, Perfect Blend
- Gus Triantafollou, Egg Smart
- John Terzakis, Fern Plaza
- Marianne Hatherley, Weston/Mount Dennis Health Centre
- Olumide Olatoye, Weston Quick Print
For more information about The Weston Village BIA, contact Marion O’Sullivan, BIA Executive Director, at 416-249-0691 or email email@example.com
On October 2, 2017, City Council voted to designate the area along Yonge Street from Woodlawn Avenue to the south and Heath Street to the north, and the area along St. Clair Avenue from Avoca Avenue in the east to Avenue Road in the west, as the Yonge and St. Clair Business Improvement Area.
Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 19 requires that a formal poll be conducted before passing a bylaw to establish a BIA.
A poll on the proposed Yonge & St. Clair BIA is being held from October 23 to December 21, 2017. Find more information about how BIA polls are conducted and who is eligible to vote.
- In October 2016, a group of commercial property and business owners met to consider establishing a business improvement area in the Yonge Street and St. Clair Avenue area.
- The objective of the proposed BIA is to re-establish the area’s vibrancy. The initial focus will be to create a new brand/image for the area; improve on or replace existing streetscaping to make the area safe, comfortable and pedestrian friendly; and encourage new businesses to locate in the area.
- The meeting was organized by Councillor Josh Matlow and provided attendees an opportunity to discuss the area’s issues, strengths and future opportunities – and how a BIA could be beneficial.
- In May 2017, a Steering Committee comprised of local commercial property and business owners and Councillor Matlow was officially created to carry out the City’s process to establish a new BIA. Steering Committee members:
- Councillor Josh Matlow
- Mike Goncalves, Stonerose Studio
- Mazen Zahili,La Barista Café
- Kat Clarke, CNIB
- Joseph Feldman, Camrost-Felcorp
- Jonathan West, Camrost-Felcorp
- Ben Rafael, Kiva’s Bagel
- Jeff May, Scallywags
- Steven Gerry, Paperboy Cards & Gifts
- Frank Sinclair, Desjardins
- Katie Fong, Slate Asset Management
- David Hastings, IBI
- Rossana Carelli, Balance
- Myles Dalton, The Centre for Fitness, Health and Performance
- Jessica Myers, Colliers International (facilitator)
- On June 20, 2017, an Open House (morning and afternoon sessions) was held at 55 St. Clair Avenue West to provide further information about the proposal.
- On August 16, 2017, a Public Meeting was held to discuss the proposed Yonge & St. Clair BIA. More than 30 potential BIA members (business owners and commercial property owners) attended the meeting and voted overwhelmingly to continue the process to establish a BIA.
- A staff report recommending that the City Clerk conduct a formal poll to establish the Yonge & St. Clair BIA was presented at Economic Development Committee at its September 20, 2017 meeting and then was considered by City Council at its October 2, 2017 meeting.
Steering Committee Facilitator
City of Toronto BIA Office